Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance2023-03-08T11:21:38+00:00

Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance

Or call us FREE for a quote

0800 085 3761

Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance


If you require competitive Unoccupied Commerical Property Insurance, then the team at Property Insurance Centre are here to help. All businesses need to make sure that they have the correct cover at the right level in case something happens to their vacant property. Insurers consider your unoccupied commercial property to be at higher risk.

We are Property Specialists who have been trading since 1976 – for forty-four years.  We have a highly experienced team that will work hard to find you the best deal and cover for your commercial property insurance policy.

To the right, you can download the first guide in our Climate Change series – How To Protect Your Properties From Flooding


unoccupied commercial property insurance flood tips

Need Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance? Our relationships may be able to help get you a good deal!

We have over 45 years experience working with:


Why choose us?

  • Independent broker with approachable staff online or by phone

  • Access to a wide range of insurers to source suitable insurance cover for your needs

  • Bespoke Insurance Schemes & Portfolio Policies available

  • We can tailor your policy to suit your exact needs to give you complete peace of mind

  • Competitive Premiums

  • Cover available for the buildings while the property is being converted, renovated or extended

  • Over 40 years experience working with the best insurers in the UK

  • Excellent communication so that you understand what risks you are insured against

What Cover Does Empty Commercial Property Insurance Provide?

Insurers deem unoccupied properties to be a higher risk than a regular property and should have a specialised policy to reflect that. Unoccupied Commercial Buildings are more likely to attract unwanted visitors whether this be because it is an easy target to vandalise without getting caught or even because they are curious and unaware of the danger that they can pose. If properties are not checked thoroughly enough small damages could be missed and left to get worse and if there was a fire or flash flood it can take longer for someone to notice and alert the authorities.

No two properties are the same or are left unattended for the same reasons. Some properties may be longer term unoccupied compared with others that may be in between leases agreements. Whatever the background & history, we are able to access a panel of insurers that can cater for all types of Empty commercial Property.

An Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance Policy is a more specialised insurance policy to arrange. Most insurers are reluctant to grant cover due to the increased risk and as a consequence, insurance premiums may rise to reflect this. Property Insurance Centre can give 

    • Insurance Protection against Fire
    • Insurance Protection against Flood
    • Insurance Protection against Lightning, Earthquake or Aircraft & falling devices
    • You may be able to include Impact by 3rd Party Vehicles
    • Property owners liability with varying limits of Liability available

Property Insurance Centre are Commercial Property specialists. If your property is empty then we can arrange the correct policy at the right premium. We have a team of qualified staff who can talk you through what is best for you & your property and what type of insurance you need in place. We can also ensure the correct Interested Parties are noted if required by the bank or various lenders. Talk to us today on 0800 085 3761.

We have over 40 years experience working with:

Who Needs Vacant Commercial Property Insurance?

If you own a commercial building like a shop or warehouse, it’s important that you have the right insurance in place. If your building is left vacant for more than 30 days at a time, then a standard Commercial Buildings Insurance Policy will not be adequate and a specialist Unoccupied Commercial Buildings Insurance Policy will need to be taken out. This is because empty properties are seen to be at a higher risk of accidental damage, theft and vandalism than a occupied property would be.

Securing your Empty Property

When taking out Insurance for Unoccupied Commercial Property, Insurers may require you to secure your property over and above what you would regularly do. This can include locking all windows and doors with approved locks and having a burglar alarm fitted. Removing all valuables and tools from the building including petty cash you may leave in a safe. Leaving safes open and empty, turning off the mains and draining the water systems. Regular checks of the building should also take place.


How will I need to secure my unoccupied commercial property?2020-06-25T11:20:07+00:00

Not only do you need to take out this specialised policy but you will also need to take greater care in securing it. In fact, all doors and windows will need to be secured with approved locks and of course, you will need to have a good burglar alarm.

Additionally, all valuables should be removed, including tools. Safes should be left empty and open. You will need to drain the water systems plus turn off the mains electricity and any other energy, such as gas. Finally, you will need to organise regular checks of your building.

Who requires a vacant commercial property insurance?2020-06-25T11:18:26+00:00

If you own a warehouse, restaurant, shop or any type of commercial building, you will need to have the correct insurance cover in place. Once a commercial property has been left unoccupied for 30 days the standard policy is no longer adequate and you will need to find the best vacant commercial property insurance policy available.

Why do I need unoccupied commercial property insurance?2020-06-25T11:17:34+00:00

When a commercial property is empty, it is considered by insurers to be a higher risk. The reason you need unoccupied commercial property insurance is to ensure that your building has adequate cover in tune with this higher risk.

The reasons that insurers deem unoccupied commercial properties to be high risk are:

  • They have a higher chance of being vandalised
  • They have a higher chance of break-ins
  • There is a greater risk of accidental damage
  • As the property is not being used it is more likely that it is not being checked regularly enough, which means that small damages could be overlooked and become worse.
  • If there were to be a flash flood or a fire, there would be no one on-site to immediately notice and take the correct actions.
Who needs commercial buildings insurance?2020-06-25T10:21:56+00:00

Commercial Property Insurance is for landlords who rent out their property for commercial use such as offices, shops, pubs, restaurants, warehouses, surgeries through to a lock-up garage. As a Commercial Property Owner, you are subject to a variety of risks for the building and contents as well as from the liabilities you have towards your tenants.

Rental properties by nature are at a higher risk of being damaged or repair work not being reported and taken care of. What may be ignored as a small patch of damp could, in fact, be a burst pipe slowly rotting away your ceiling and without it being reported, you could be completely unaware of an issue until serious damage has been done. Commercial Buildings Insurance can help recover the costs of repairing or rebuilding your property should an accident happen.

Call us on 0800 085 3761 or contact us here to get a range of Commercial Landlord Insurance Quotes.

Why is it important to have commercial property insurance?2020-06-25T10:21:56+00:00

If you own a commercial property, it is undoubtedly one of the most valuable assets that you have. So if you don’t place the right type of insurance cover on it for the various eventualities, then you take a big risk.

It is very important to have commercial insurance for this expensive asset so that you are covered in the event of unforeseen incidents including floods, subsidence, fire and a number of others.

The first step to getting commercial property insurance is to contact our team who will be able to help you. Additionally, you will need to appoint a building surveyor who will be able to evaluate how much the property should be insured for – as the last thing you want to do is underinsure your asset.

What is covered typically under a commercial property insurance policy?2020-06-25T10:21:56+00:00

The perils that are typically covered under this policy are accidental damage, malicious damage, theft, flood, escape of water, subsidence, storms and floods…and some more. Policies come standard with Property Owners Liability at £2,000,000 but can be increased to £5,000,000.

There are also add-ons that you may require depending on the property use. For example, a landlord’s contents, employers liability, terrorism, and legal expenses. It is of the utmost importance to get the commercial property insured for its correct value. This means you will need to employ a surveyor.

How much should I expect to pay for commercial property insurance?2020-06-25T10:21:56+00:00

The cost of commercial property insurance varies depending on a variety of factors such as:

  • Rebuild cost
  • Postcode
  • Previous claims
  • Trade carried out in the property
  • If it is located in a subsidence or flood area
  • If the building in an area where levels of theft and malicious damage are high
  • Is the property close to a river – this affects the price as the underwriters will take into consideration that the river might burst its banks and damage your property

Commercial Property Insurance could cost as little as £142 per annum, but this is a starting point and will be affected by the various factors highlighted.

Do I need commercial property insurance?2020-06-25T10:21:55+00:00

If you are a small business that owns inventory, equipment and/or a building you really should have commercial property insurance. This type of insurance is there to replace or repair business property that is destroyed, damaged or stolen.

Ultimate Block of Flats Insurance Guide
The Block of Flats Fire Safety Guide

Residential Landlord

Land Liability

Commercial Property

Lockup Garage

Restaurant & Takeaway

Business or Shop

Unoccupied Commercial Property Insurance

Or call us FREE for a quote

0800 085 3761